LACDMH’s Promoters Program aims to reduce mental health stigma throughout Los Angeles County — particularly in historically underserved cultural and linguistic communities — by increasing awareness about mental health issues, removing barriers, and improving timely access to culturally and linguistically appropriate resources.
Mental Health Promoters
Serve as a bridge between the community, the Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health and other human and social service organizations by approaching mental health topics with a culture-specific lens.
- Outreach and Engagement
- Educational Workshops
- Linkage and Referrals
In 2011, the Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health started the Promotores de Salud Mental Program as a pilot project to address the high levels of mental health stigma in the Spanish-speaking community. The Health Promoter model and popular education model have been used in the United States and in countries throughout the world to address a variety of health disparities in underserved cultural and linguistic communities.
In 2020, the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors approved the expansion of the Promoters Program to serve the following additional communities: Black/African Heritage, Asian Pacific Islander, American Indian/Alaska Native, Eastern European/Middle Eastern, LGBTQ+ and Individuals with Physical Disabilities. The expansion of the model into mental health has been an innovative way to increase access to care.
Receiving resources and information from people in the local community has proven effective in building and sustaining trust and resilience among these populations. Promoters empower individuals with accurate information and resources and most importantly instill hope for the future.
- Emotional Wellbeing and Stress
- Emotional Wellbeing and the Brain: The Effects of COVID-19
- Returning to School During COVID-19: Challenges, and How to Support Our Children
- Mental Health and Stigma: Changing the Story
- Awareness, Treatment and Recovery from Depression
- Awareness, Treatment and Recovery from Anxiety
- Grief, Loss and Resilience
- Understanding the Impact of Addiction and Mental Wellness
- Family Violence Prevention and Resilience
- Child Abuse Prevention and Resilience
- Suicide Prevention and Resilience
- Positive Parenting: Understanding Learning Disabilities, Autism and ADHD
- Positive Parenting: Understanding Anxiety and Depression
- Positive Parenting: Understanding Behavioral Struggles in Children
- Immigration, Adaptation and Resilience