Patients’ Rights Office
The Patients’ Rights Office was created in response to California legislation requiring each county mental health director to appoint patients’ rights advocates to protect and further the Constitutional and statutory rights of mental health care recipients.
Also available on this page are the Beneficiary Client Grievance Forms and the Grievance Appeal Procedures Brochures.
Please contact the Patients’ Rights Office at (213) 738-4888 or (800) 700-9996 if you have any questions or need more information.
What the Patients’ Rights Office Does:
Represents Consumers at Inpatient Psychiatric Hospitals – Patients’ Rights Advocates travel to psychiatric hospitals throughout Los Angeles County and represent patients who are involuntarily detained. The Advocate prepares consumers for their certification review hearings. The hearings are held to determine if the treatment facility has sufficient cause to hold the patient without his/her consent. Advocates also represent consumers at medication capacity hearings (Riese hearings). These hearings are held to determine whether or not an involuntarily treated patient has the ability to consent to or refuse psychiatric medication.
Responds to Inpatient and Outpatient Psychiatric Grievances and Complaints – Patients’ Rights Advocates investigate and respond to grievances and complaints about inpatient and outpatient mental health providers. The complaints can come from consumers, family, friends, and even staff. Advocates also provide other advocacy and mediation services to consumers involving outpatient providers.
Provides Residential Advocacy – Patients’ Rights Advocates, along with the State of California Community Care Licensing and the Ombudsman, investigate complaints about licensed board and cares and unlicensed residential facilities where consumers live. They also provide training on residential law and rights to consumers, family and providers.
Responds to Inmate Mental Health Concerns – Patients’ Rights Advocates provide support and a voice for male and female mental health consumers that are in the county jail by investigating and responding to inmates’ mental health complaints and concerns. Advocates also educate Jail Mental Health and Los Angeles County Sheriff staff on patients’ rights issues.
Advocates for Minor’s Rights – Patients’ Rights Advocates specialize in minor’s rights and parental rights/responsibilities. They investigate complaints regarding minors, monitor facilities providing services to minors to ensure compliance with laws and regulations and represent minor’s at hearings.
Responds to Long-Term Placement (IMD) Consumer Concerns – Patients’ Rights Advocates work directly with consumers living in IMDs, providers, families, and interested parties. Provides Training & Consultation – Patients’ Rights Advocates provide training and educational presentations on patients’ rights and mental health law to consumers, providers and interested parties.
Locates Missing Persons – Assists families and friends to find missing mental health consumers without violating consumer’s privacy or HIPAA regulations.
Provides Medi-Cal Beneficiary Publications and Forms – Distributes information explaining Medi-Cal mental health services and grievance forms in the threshold languages.
The Patients’ Rights Office Mental Health Client Resource Directory – provides an overview of resources in the Los Angeles area including but not limited to mental health, medical, legal, self help, and housing. It was developed as a tool to be used for self empowerment and advocacy. Feel free to download it and to distribute it to anyone who can benefit from the information it contains.
Below are the links to the “Guide to Medi-Cal Mental Health Services” in several languages. All are in PDF file format and require an Adobe Acrobat Reader to view and print. The Guide is also available in the alternate format of compact disc (CD) in these languages. They can be obtained by contacting the Patients’ Rights Office (213) 738-4888.
Guide to Medi-Cal Mental Health Services
- Arabic | Arabic large print
- Armenian | Armenian large print
- Cambodian | Cambodian large print
- Chinese Simplified | Chinese Simplified large print
- Chinese Traditional | Chinese Traditional large print
- English | English large print
- Farsi | Farsi large print
- Korean | Korean large print
- Russian | Russian large print
- Spanish | Spanish large print
- Tagalog | Tagalog large print
- Vietnamese | Vietnamese large print
Grievance and Appeal Forms and Procedures
- Grievance/Appeal Form – Arabic
- Grievance/Appeal Procedures – Arabic
- Grievance/Appeal Form – Armenian
- Grievance/Appeal Procedures – Armenian
- Grievance/Appeal Form – Cambodian
- Grievance/Appeal Procedures – Cambodian
- Grievance/Appeal Form – Chinese
- Grievance/Appeal Procedures – Chinese
- Grievance/Appeal Form – English
- Grievance/Appeal Procedures – English
- Grievance/Appeal Form – Farsi
- Grievance/Appeal Procedures – Farsi
- Grievance/Appeal Form – Korean
- Grievance/Appeal Procedures – Korean
- Grievance/Appeal Form – Russian
- Grievance/Appeal Procedures – Russian
- Grievance/Appeal Form – Spanish
- Grievance/Appeal Procedures – Spanish
- Grievance/Appeal Form – Tagalog
- Grievance/Appeal Procedures – Tagalog
- Grievance/Appeal Form – Vietnamese
- Grievance/Appeal Procedures – Vietnamese
Notice of Action
- MH 726 Notice of Action A (Assessment) in English
- Notice of Action A (Assessment) in Arabic
- Notice of Action A (Assessment) in Armenian
- Notice of Action A (Assessment) in Cambodian
- Notice of Action A (Assessment) in Simplified Chinese
- Notice of Action A (Assessment) in Traditional Chinese
- Notice of Action A (Assessment) in Farsi
- Notice of Action A (Assessment) in Russian
- Notice of Action A (Assessment) in Spanish
- Notice of Action A (Assessment) in Tagalog
- Notice of Action A (Assessment) in Vietnamese
- MH 727 Notice of Action E (Lack of Timely Service) in English
- Notice of Action E (Lack of Timely Service) in Armenian
- Notice of Action E (Lack of Timely Service) in Arabic
- Notice of Action E (Lack of Timely Service) in Cambodian
- Notice of Action E (Lack of Timely Service) in Simplified Chinese
- Notice of Action E (Lack of Timely Service) in Traditional Chinese
- Notice of Action E (Lack of Timely Service) in Farsi
- Notice of Action E (Lack of Timely Service) in Korean
- Notice of Action E (Lack of Timely Service) in Russian
- Notice of Action E (Lack of Timely Service) in Spanish
- Notice of Action E (Lack of Timely Service) in Tagalog
- Notice of Action E (Lack of Timely Service) in Vietnamese