Field Capable Clinical Services
The Field Capable Clinical Services, also known as FCCS, are the first system-wide DMH programs focused exclusively on Older Adults and designed to improve access to needed mental health services for this traditionally underserved population. FCCS offers a range of field-based services to older adults who may be reluctant or unable to access needed mental health services due to impaired mobility, frailty, geographic limitations or stigma associated with receiving services in a traditional mental health clinic.
- FCCS provides specialty mental health services designed to meet the unique biopsychosocial needs of older adults ages 60 and above.
- FCCS are provided in settings that are often preferred by older adults, for example in the home of the older adult, or in other community settings such as senior centers or senior housing complexes, or primary care settings.
- FCCS are provided by multi-disciplinary teams of professional, paraprofessional and volunteer providers who have received specialized training preparing them to work effectively with older adults.
Who is eligible to receive these services?
Older adults, ages 60 and above:
- who are experiencing a serious and persistent mental illness or
- who have significant mental health problems that are not as severe or as persistent but whose level of functioning is adversely affected by their mental health problems and are unable to participate in services provided in traditional mental health clinic programs, may be eligible to participate in FCCS.
- Transitional age older adults, ages 55 – 59 may be eligible for these services
Additional Service Component
Service Extenders, or those peers in recovery or family members who have been specially trained to work with older adults, may provide added support and advocacy as part of the multi-disciplinary FCCS team. Service Extenders may assist in providing friendly visits to isolated older adults, assist in community reintegration, and provide hope and support in the recovery process.
FCCS are provided across the County of Los Angeles by both directly-operated and contract agencies. For additional program information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org .