City Homeless Section 8
The Housing Authority of the City of Los Angeles (HACLA) has jurisdiction for all areas within the City of Los Angeles.
If you are a client of a Department of Mental Health directly-operated clinic or contract agency, please discuss your housing needs with your case manager.
If you are a case manager, please direct your housing questions to your clinic/agency Housing Liaison.
Homeless Section 8 differs from Shelter Plus Care in the following ways:
- A criminal background check is required
- An individual must be a legal resident
- The contract is only for one year, renewable annually (Shelter Plus Care is a five year contract)
- A Homeless Section 8 voucher is portable after one year of residency in Los Angeles City jurisdiction
- No follow-up is required after 12 months
Homeless Section 8 Application (rev 12/21/17)
Policies and Procedures
City of Los Angeles Neighborhoods
Link to City of Los Angeles Map
Fair Market Rent/Tenant Income Limits
Link to HACLA Property Listings
For more information, call Federal Housing Subsidies Unit at (213) 251-6590