LOADED SMASHED POTATOES
By Kimberli Washington, ITC, Public Information Office
- 3 pounds of medium-size unpeeled baby potatoes
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine
- ½ cup thinly sliced chives (substitute with thinly sliced green onions)
- ¼ cup cooked bacon, chopped (try turkey bacon)
- ¼ cup shredded cheese
- Sour cream (optional garnish)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, place potatoes in boiling water (enough water to cover all potatoes).
- Cover and cook until for tender (about 25-30 minutes).
- Drain water and set potatoes aside. Return pot to stove over medium-high heat and add butter.
- Once butter begins to foam, add potatoes and stir to coat.
- Smash each potato to break skin and cook until golden brown.
- Stir in chives (or green onions), bacon, cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!!!
Disclaimer: It is the reader's responsibility to check the instructions provided, and to determine nutritional value and any possible medical condition that may arise from the consumption of the ingredients listed.