Empowerment & Advocacy
The vision of Empowerment and Advocacy is to enhance the experience of hope, wellness and recovery through social inclusion. Our mission is to expand the range of the client voice in the Department of Mental Health to be more representative of the diversity found in the County of Los Angeles, and to deepen the understanding of empowerment and social inclusion through meaningful advocacy efforts.
- To reach out to existing client groups within DMH and invite them to form alliances around a common vision
- To form new groups as needed and support them in achieving their goals
- To interact with programs that serve transition age youth, adults, and older adults and engage them in mutually beneficial empowerment and advocacy issues
- To support peer advocates in their development within their jobs and in their careers
- To provide a clearinghouse to training opportunities for peer advocates and others in DMH who work with peers
The following offices have been established to protect the rights of people served locally by LACDMH and to provide outreach and education to the community: